Aiding the development of the NBLA has been dozens of authors who have led the way in their fields. Whether studying how differentiated instruction combines with Understanding by Design or studying small school models, the teachers of the NBLA design team have collected a large bookshelf of resource materials. We’d like to share these books with you and explain how each book has contributed to the NBLA design. [Note to other teachers: I’ve used Son of Citation Machine at http://citationmachine.net/index2.php?start=# for the MLA format.]
- Wiggins, Grant and Jay McTighe. Understanding by Design. 2nd. Alexandria, VA: ASCD, 2005.
- Tomlinson, Carol Ann and Jay McTighe. Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids. Alexandria, VA: ASCD, 2006.
- Wagner, Tony and Robert Kagan. Change Leadership: A Practical Guide to Transforming Our Schools. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2006.
- MacGregor, Mariam. Building Everyday Leadership in All Teens: Promoting Attitudes and Actions for Respect and Success. Minneapolis, MN: Free Spirit Publishing, 2007.
- Wiggins, Grant and Jay McTighe. Schooling by Design: Mission, Achievement and Action. Alexandria, VA: ASCD, 2007.
- Lee, Valerie and Douglas Ready. Schools within Schools: Possibilities and Pitfalls of High School Reform. New York, NY: Teachers College Press, 2007.
- Feldman, Jay. Choosing Small: The Essential Guide to Successful High School Conversion. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, 2005.