Session 2 (Assessment Standards) www.jcsee.org/ses
How do we authentically assess students?
- How do we know what students know? How is it measured?
- How do we know who did what? How do you give feedback and manage?
- Formative assessments don’t count. How do we account for standards based performance when grades are weighted the same before and after the grades are in?
- Eventually we are grading on competencies, but we are not there yet.
Analogy: Driving test. Everyone knows what’s on it. There’s value. Drivers Ed works on the formative assessment and help students gain the competencies so they are ready for the big test.
Q: How do we change this as a school community? How do we make sure change happens?
Session 3 (Critical Skills) @dancallahan
We’ve been given a challenge of presenting in a group on critical skills and fundamental dispositions in a 21st century classroom.
So, we’re in 3 groups
Group 1: Official website http://www.antiochne.edu/acsr/criticalskills/
Group 2: Unofficial website http://bit.ly/NBI346 and http://bit.ly/NBI9IT
Group 3: Article – From experience to meaning: The critical skills program by Laura Thomas.
We’ve been given 30 minutes to prepare to give a 10 minute presentation.
Now, we’re doing the presentation and breaking it down.
Session 4 (Ipads in School) @dancallahan
Songza (app) streaming music that gives you playlists according to different moods/styles.
50 Shades of Grey (ebook readers)
If you buy 20+ apps from Apple, you get them ½ price in bulk
- Drawing pad
- How do we make effective use of the iPad?
- What is a good app? Bad app?
- What do we like about it?
- What do we not like about it?
- How do you provide apps and devices?
Session 5 (Paperless Classroom)
- Explain Everything (ipad screencast)
- mybrainshark (PPT to screencast)
- iannotate (app like skitch but better)
- book2cloud (open source books with questions)
- dailylit.com (books in 200 word bits/email)
- mendeley (PDF organizer)
- edshelf.com (tool organizer)
- whitenoise (app to tune things out)
- youblisher.com (embedding books in a webpage)
- xtranormal.com (dialogue creator)
- esri.com (express yourself with maps)
- visual.ly (infographics)
- easel.ly (infographics)
- infogr.am (infographics)
- songzu (music streaming)
- isleoftune.com (music synthesizer)
- airserverapp.com (stream your device)
- reflectionapp (device to projector)